Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday Must-Haves

When we first brought Raleigh home, she was supposed to sleep in the bassinet of her Pack & Play.  That was the plan.  Reality: She wouldn't sleep more than an hour at a time in it, so she mostly slept on my chest in bed.  I wasn't getting much sleep, but it was easy to BF that way.  Bring in the Aden & Anais swaddle and the Rock 'n Play.

At first, she didn't like to be swaddled at all.  She would fight her way out of it every time.  But, whenever I used the Aden & Anais swaddle blanket that my sister gave us (Raleigh's first gift!), she wouldn't get out of it and she even liked it.  These blankets are large, breathable, and have a lot of give.  I also learned how to swaddle the right way: left arm, LEGS, right arm.  Before, I would do the arms and then twist and tuck the bottom part behind her.  Wow.  A good swaddle works wonders, especially for my active baby! You can find Aden & Anais blankets in packs of four at Target, but they aren't the best quality.  I have found that Raleigh prefers the one that my sister bought me (from a boutique in Charlotte) and the ones she just recently loaned me (also bought separately).  I'm guessing that the company makes them two different ways or something, so that they can have two different price points.  One more thing to add, I use two blankets for Raleigh!  The second blanket doesn't have to be an A&A one for her to sleep well, but it just ensures that she won't break out of the swaddle.

The Rock 'N Play is perfect.  It's almost bed level, so I just put it beside the bed; when she woke up, I didn't even have to get out of bed to pick her up to feed her.  Now that she is sleeping through the night, we usually let her fall asleep with us while we watch TV in the living room.  Then, Ray will carry her (still in the RNP) upstairs to her nursery.  She loves it!  It's very portable.  You don't have to take anything apart as it just folds up.  That way, when we go places, she's still sleeping in the same thing she has at home.  I know soon I will have to start putting her in the crib, so I hope that transition goes okay!

Raleigh Kate sleeping in her Rock 'n Play, swaddled in her Aden & Anais blanket.
My nephew giving her a kiss! 




2 comments:

  1. She is so cute! That is so good that she is already sleeping through the night. Evelyn was only waking up twice a night to start with, but has started waking more frequently, but I think it is just because she is in our room and hears us move around. I don't want to move her to her crib until 6 weeks, but hopefully she will sleep better then. I may have to try swaddling her tighter because she likes to squirm loose, too. Unfortunately we wn't be at Kirk's wedding. I (wrongly) assumed that kids weren't included and I knew I wouldn't want to leave Evelyn yet. I hate to. Iss it, but hopefully we will see everyone soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just catching up!! Glad you are getting some use out of the two things I recommended ;) Hope she's still sleeping well!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!