Thursday, September 27, 2012

What's for Dinner?

As I try to be the best (temporary) stay-at-home mom I can be, I plan to have dinner ready when Ray gets home from work.  It will work much better now that he works mostly 8-5 shifts.  It's actually dinner time when he gets home, rather than 3:00 in the afternoon! The crock pot will be my best friend, since I can prepare everything when Raleigh naps; then, at dinner time, I'm not juggling cooking with trying to keep her entertained.  This week I tried two crock pot recipes: lasagna and salsa chicken.  Both were delicious!  Ray grilled pork chops, which is his go-to quick (and inexpensive) meal.  I like it because it's lean, but flavorful, and clean-up is easy!

Pork Chops


Ray seasons the (boneless) pork chops with Daddy's dry rub.  We get it from my dad, who gets it from one of his patients.  Canned green beans and (instant) mashed potatoes complete this meal.  We usually eat this with baked red potatoes, but we were too hungry and wanted something quick that night.  I'll have to post about Ray's red potatoes the next time we have them.    



Salsa Chicken


Ingredients:
1 lb chicken tenderloins (or chicken breasts)
1 c. salsa (not fresh)
1 can Cream of Cheddar soup
1/2 packet Taco Seasoning (I use Hot & Spicy)

Put chicken into crock pot.  Cover chicken with taco seasoning.  Pour salsa and soup over chicken.  Cook on Low for 5 hours.  I have a new crock pot, so I only cooked it for 5 hours and let it stay warm for an hour after that.  If you have an older one, you might need to cook it for longer.  The chicken should be very tender!

I served it over brown rice (yes, I used the 90 sec. microwaveable kind) with a side of black beans.  You can also shred the chicken and make burritos!


Crock Pot Lasagna  


I've never made lasagna before, but this couldn't be any easier!  This will probably be my go-to meal when we have company.  I stole this recipe from my neighbor's cookbook when I went over to turn the crock pot on for her.  

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
1 t. Italian seasoning 
8 lasagna noodles, uncooked and broken into thirds
24 oz. jar spaghetti sauce 
1/3 c. water
4 oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained (Ray and I don't like mushrooms so I left this out)
15 oz. container ricotta cheese
8 oz. pkg. shredded mozzarella cheese
Garnish: shredded Parmesan Cheese

Combine ground beef and Italian seasoning.  Arrange half of the lasagna noodles in greased slow cooker.  Spread half of the ground beef mixture over noodles.  Top with half each of remaining ingredients except Parmesan cheese.  Repeat layering process.  Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.*  Garnish with Parmesan cheese.  

*Mine cooked on Low for 4 hours and stayed on Warm for an hour.

I put some cracked red pepper on top for a little heat.  This lasagna was a big hit with the hubs!  I prepared a salad and garlic bread to complete this meal.  
Money-saver:  We had leftover hot dog buns in the pantry, so I split them to make the garlic bread.    

What is your go-to dinner for two or more?  Any crock pot favorites? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts!